Thursday, February 26, 2009

Crunch

Ugh. This economy stinks. And by the way STINKS isn't at all what I really want to say. It's worse than stinks because every single one of us has been affected and not only do we suffer from our personal ouches, we suffer on behalf of our friends and neighbors who have lost more than we have.

I know that I have a charmed life. I really do! Despite the petty annoyances and the realization that I'll never live up to my full potential (look- that'd be a full time job in and of itself and I just don't have that kind of energy anymore- I'm turning 29 for the 11th time people!) I have it pretty good. But even those of us who have it pretty good are feeling the pinch. And it's bumming me out.

I'm doing my best not to pass the pinch on to my kids. I know that the older 2 are aware that there is a recession but they can't really figure what that means and The Flyer? She's got no clue. Her life is consumed by take-apart erasers and cheerleading competitions. I'm not trying to spare them out of any kind of Mother Teresa type of thing but I just think this isn't what little people should be worried about. We're (THANK GOD) not going to be losing our home and we're both still employed but the pain of this crunch has meant that Ken and I have cut back our own pleasures. For example, we haven't gone out to dinner on a 'date' since August. Not that it's burned in my memory. . . anyone else feeling the pinch?

I feel so bad complaining but I'm thinking it will help to put my cards on the table. One of my very best friends once showed me that your worst fear or biggest shortcoming is much more manageable if you just own up to it. Keeping it hidden away creates a whole 'other' layer of stress. She told me "How can people make you feel bad about a fact that you put out on the table yourself?" What she was saying was that if you can own up to your circumstances and reality then you'll never feel threatened by being exposed. Does that make sense to you?

I'm hoping that someone out there gets it too. Otherwise my current state is just going to be added onto the list which I'm sure will be used to commit me one day. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment